A lot of people wonder what’s really the point of organizing your home and keeping it organized; isn’t a whole lot of upkeep for very little benefit?
The short answer is, it can be if you aren’t doing it in a way that serves you. If you are trying to implement an organizing system that ends up stressing you out than yeah there isn’t a whole lot of benefit to that.
However, I’ve found that the key to organizing your home and reaping all the benefits is to do it in a way that makes you feel relaxed and at ease and this can look very different from person to person.
First, lets talk about the some of the benefits of organizing your home. That way you get a clear idea on what can actually happen and why you might want to do it!
The benefits of organizing your home:
- Better sleep – a bedroom that is clutter free makes for a good night sleep. When you have a messy room you end up subconsciously feeling stressed which can create interruptions in your sleep patterns. A calm and comforting bedroom equals a good nights sleep.
- Improved relationships – busy schedules and an environment that feeds chaos rather than relaxation leads to stress and all that stress ends up separating us from the people we love. Mostly because as humans, we tend to take out our frustrations on the ones closest to us and that puts a strain on our relationships. When we feel good in our immediate environment we are more relaxed and we enjoy the company of others more, we want to entertain more, and there’s more room for play and connection.
- Save time and money – for most of us this would be the big one! When you know where everything is in your house you save time. No more wasted mornings searching for your keys, no more losing items in the back of the closet and having to go out and purchase a duplicate.
There’s a slew of other benefits and you can read this article HERE that gives more information on the health benefits of organizing your home and life.
Now lets move on to HOW to organize your home in a way that actually serves you and doesn’t stress you out even more.
I did a video on the key to staying organized long-term which you can watch HERE.
Organizing your home for Comfort…
The big keyword here is comfort. We want to feel comforted and relaxed in our environment so how do we do that consistently in a way that feels good especially if we aren’t super great at organizing?
When it comes to getting started I highly recommend hiring a professional organizer in your area to help you with the big stuff. Most organizers will teach you how to keep up with what they have done and give you tools to help you stay organized.
That being said not all organizing systems work for everyone so don’t think there is just one right way to do something because there isn’t. We all have our special brand of what works for us. So know what works and what doesn’t and fine tune around that.
For example I am not big into programs, systems, schedules or the like. This kind of stuff never has worked for me. I stay organized because I like to do it and because I have a special process that is relaxed and works for me i.e. it is NATURAL to me. It never feels like work and it only takes a few minutes.
Don’t let the fact that I do this stuff for a living intimidate you. No one is 100% organized 100% of the time, that’s just not how it works. Its about a personal standard of comfort. I know what that is for me and I work around that, that’s it.
The truth is I can be a very chaotic person and I even have a little hoarder inside of me that takes over sometimes with certain things. For example, I LOVE blankets so I am always buying new blankets. But I noticed that this happens during times when I need extra comfort and its actually serving me! Plus when I realize I have too many blankets (usually during the summer) I take them down to the mission so some wonderful homeless person can have one and guess what everyone wins!! My point here is don’t be too hard on yourself, just honor where you are at.
Anyway here are my tools for staying organized…
- I clean out my purse every Monday. This literally takes about 10 minutes tops and it feels so good to have a clean purse and a fresh start every week. Plus, since this is where I store my money it gives fresh energy to all that money coming in and makes room for even more! I do this out of love for my connection to giving and receiving and I enjoy doing it.
- I keep a schedule only for appointments. How I actually get stuff done is by keeping a checklist. I detest schedules they make me feel overwhelmed and robotic. So I keep my schedule open as much as possible and keep to-do lists instead. That way I can do what I want when I feel like doing it and then have all this satisfaction when I check things off my list. I’ve found that a running checklist I add to each week works the best for me but sometimes I like to keep a daily to-do list as well. It’s all in how I feel that week and I work around that. The amazing thing is I get SO MUCH more done this way!
- I go through my closet every 3 months. I have done this since I was a crazy teenager and it works for me so well. Every 3 months (or so) I go through my clothes and my daughters and what doesn’t fit or we haven’t worn that season gets donated. That goes for toys, pantry items, etc. What motivates me to do this are 2 things – first, if I feel overwhelmed that is clear sign to me that I need to de-clutter. Second, thinking of giving away my things to others who may need them and/or love them is the reason I started to doing this when I was a kid in the first place and its the most important thing for me. If I know I am connecting with others by giving I feel amazing and this is a small way I can pay it forward.
And folks that is basically it, that is how I stay organized and how I organize. This is also how I recommend organizing your home (you know cuz I’m bias).
The bottom line I think is that I am motivated to do this by my own personal standards. I do it how I want to do it and in a way that feels good to me. I think simplicity is key so find what works for you and fine tune it until you have something that really feels amazing!